911 is the best telephone number to call if you have a true emergency.
Cellular phones work in many places along the Big Sur Coast - best around Point Sur, in the Big Sur Valley, and near the Post Ranch Inn, where there is a transmitter.
When calling 911 your call will be routed through Monterey County dispatch center and directed to the emergency services in Big Sur. Big Sur has 24 hour Sheriff, Highway Patrol, and Park Rangers. In addition, Big Sur also has medical support, cliff rescue, and a volunteer fire department and emergency medical response team, as well as a locally-based ambulance service.
Our local healthcare facility, Big Sur Health Center, is centrally located in the Big Sur Valley, on Highway 1, 1/8 mile south of the River Inn. The health center provides preventative, complementary, and urgent care services, including: comprehensive physical exams, pediatrics, gynecology, minor surgery, laboratory services, and basic pharmaceutical services.
Big Sur Health Center also carries a number of over-the-counter medications and supplies available for purchase by the public.
Call 831-667-2580 for an appointment Monday-Friday, 10:00 am -1:00 pm, and 2:00 - 5:00 pm.
Big Sur Blog where we will post information during emergencies and general information about Big Sur when not in an emergency.
- CalTrans has created a toll-free hotline to provide information about traffic and road conditions on Highway 1 from Cambria to Carmel which encompasses all of Big Sur. The hotline will be updated as needed with information about construction, traffic delays and road closures. Call (888) 836-0866.
- Big Sur Station, State Parks, US Forest Service, Cal-Trans
- California Highway Conditions
(800) 427-ROAD (7623) This service is available free from any touch tone phone, cellular phone or pay phone. From outside of Califorina you can dial (916) 445-7623 to reach the same service.
- CHP Traffic information
Road closure and events in real time.
- Big Sur Health Center
(831) 667-2580, fax: 667-0184
Full Service Health Center. Alternative care, complete physical exams, pediatrics, gynecology, EKG, minor surgery, immunizations, lab services, urgent care, women's issues.
Open Monday through Friday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Medicare, Medi-Cal, Private Insurance Accepted.
- Big Sur Volunteer Fire Brigade
(831) 667-2113 The Big Sur Volunteer Fire Brigade was formed in 1974 to provide structure fire protection for the residents and businesses in the Big Sur area. Our area covers 60 miles of coastline, along Highway One, from Hurricane Point on the north end to the Monterey/San Luis Obispo County line on the south.
- Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula
Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula is the nearest hospital to Big Sur. It is located approximately 30 miles north of Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Follow Highway One to Carmel, take the Highway 68 exit (west) to the hospital.
- The Big Sur Blog website, a blog to help collate and distribute information and resources for the Big Sur community, especially in times of an emergency.
- Monterey County Services
- National Weather Service
Local Weather Stations:
Download our local Big Sur Visitors Guide in Adobe PDF.