Big Sur Valley is located 26 miles South of Carmel on the central California coast, surrounded by Ventana Wilderness Area and the Los Padres National Forest.
The Big Sur Chamber of Commerce offers these directions as a starting point for your trip to Big Sur. We suggest that you consult your own maps to figure out the best route for you as there are several routes one can follow to get to Big Sur. The inclusion of the links below is not an endorsement, rather, we have consolidated them here so as to be more useful to you in making your travel plans.
Public Transportation is available to and from Monterey on Monterey-Salinas Transit (MST). Summer schedule resumes (Memorial Day to Labor Day). Winter schedule only offers transport on the weekends. Check their website for the the current schedule.
The bus has bicycle racks and is wheel chair accessible, running as far South as Nepenthe Restaurant with several stops throughout the Big Sur valley.
CLICK HERE for a Route 22 schedule. (PDF)
MST is now offering a transport from San Jose International Airport. Route 55 Monterey-San Jose Express.
Download a PDF of Route 55
Three airports service California's central coast. They are listed from closest to the farthest away:
- Monterey Airport has a listing of all the airlines, their toll free reservation number, and a link to their websites. Ground transportation including rental car agencies, limosines, taxis, public buses and trains are also listed here. Most major airlines flying into San Jose and San Francisco International Airports have commuter flights to Monterey Airport. Monterey Airport now has direct service from Denver, Colorado, Las Vegas, Nevada, and Phoenix, Arizona. Monterey Airport is located approximately 30 miles from Big Sur Valley.
- San Jose International Airport lists all airlines and ground transportation. Shuttle flights from San Jose to Monterey are available. (Approximately 120 miles from Big Sur) Download directions from SJIA to Big Sur.
- San Francisco International Airport lists all airlines, flight information, ground transportation and more. Shuttle flights from San Francisco to Monterey are available. (Approximately 150 miles from Big Sur)
- Oakland Airport lists all airlints, flight schedules, ground transportation, area road traffic and tourist information. Download directions from Oakland Airport to Big Sur.
CAR RENTAL AGENCIES:
Car rental agencies serving the Monterey Peninsula Airport:
GROUND AND PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION:
- Carmel Taxi 1-831-624-3885
- Central Coast Day Tripper 831-657-9442 or 831-241-2526
Discover Big Sur and the Monterey Peninsula in the comfort of a luxury Volvo Sedan. Go where you want, when you want. See the scenary, not the road. Learn the history of the area on this personalized, unscripted, and interactive venture. Driver doubles as photographer. Carmel By The Sea, Carmel Valley wine tasting, Hearst Castle, and Pebble Beach are among the places frequently traveled. Can also accommodate larger groups.
- Monterey/Salinas Transit
- Monterey Airbus supplies transportation between Monterey and San Jose and San Francisco airports.
- AMTRAK 1-800-USA-RAIL (872-7245) or 415-546-4418. Located a 11 Station Place, Salinas, CA. Direct service from Seattle or Los Angeles on the Coast Starlight wth onward bus connections to Monterey and Carmel.
- Greyhound Bus Lines (831) 373-4735. Located at 1042 Del Monte Avenue, Monterey.
Maps and Big Sur Guide in PDF format
Download the Big Sur Map shown above.
Download our local Big Sur Visitors Guide, our local tourist information paper in Adobe PDF. The guide includes all the contact information for the local lodging, camping, restaurants, commentary on the local ecology, and more. It also has the map which is featured above from Carmel to San Simeon.
Click Here (132k) for a very nicely detailed map of the Central Coast which includes National Parks, National Forest Land, State Park, Wilderness Areas, Freeways, Highways, Scenic Byways, Major Airports, California Missions, Roadside Rest Areas, Lighthouses, OHV Recreation Areas, Wildlife Viewing Areas and more, all in a convenient pdf format. (272k)
Click Here (648k) for a detailed map of all of California. Includes roadways, state parks - EVERYTHING!