The number of people allowed into Pt. Sur is limited to preserve the sense of isolation and drama.
Your group will meet in the parking lot at the base of Pt. Sur's giant rock formation, where a docent will lead you on a leisurely uphill walk to the lighthouse, a half mile away. Your group will have plenty of time to climb the lighthouse tower for a look at the light itself, and to take a turn around the catwalk outside the light tower. The walking tour consists of a rise in elevation of 360 feet and two stairways of 40-60 steps each.
(November through March):
Saturdays and Sundays : 10:00 AM
Wednesdays: 1:00 PM (No tour April 25, 2004)
(April through October):
Satudays & Wednesdays: 10:00 AM and 2:00
Sundays: 10:00 AM
Thursdays (July and August) 10:00 AM
(No tour on Sunday, April 28. Reschedult to Monday, April 29)
Moonlight Tours for 2015
- April 4, Saturday - 6:45 PM
- May 3, Sunday - 7:00 PM
- June 1, Monday- 7:30 PM
- June 2, Tuesday - 7:30 PM
- July 1, Wednesday - 7:45 PM
- July 2, Thursday - 7:45 PM
- July 30, Thursday - 7:45 PM
- July 31, Friday - 7:45 PM
- August 28, Friday - 6:45 PM
- August 29, Saturday - 6:45 PM
- September 27, Sunday - 6:45 PM
- October TBA
Moonlight Tours are not suitable for children under 6 years of age.
Arrive Early. First come, first served. Reservations not accepted.
October Ghost Tours TBA
Whale Watching Tours
Friday, April 3 - 10:00 AM
$20 per person. After walking to the top of the rock, you will have time to picnic (bring your own food) and watch for whales. Binoculars are provided and experts will be onhand to answer your questions.
No reservations. First come, first served.
Adults: $15.00 (Moonlight Tours $20.00)
Teen (6 to 17) years old): $5.00 (Moonlight Tours $10.00)
Children 5 and under are free
Prices subject to change.
Visa & MasterCard accepted.
Friday, April 3 - 10:00 AM
Visitors may not remain in their vehicles.
- Pets (even left in cars)
- Large motorhomes or campers
- Strollers or baby carriages
- Beach access
Photography for personal enjoyment is encouraged. Photography for publication requires a permit.
California State Parks does not discriminate against individuals with disabilities. Prior to arrival, visitors with disabilities who need assistance should contact the park office to determine if their specific needs can be met. Call well in advance of your visit (831) 667-0528. To use the California Relay Service with TTY, call (800) 735-2929 (MCI) or (877) 735-2929 (Sprint) and without TTY, call (888) 877-5379. Online access:globalrelay.mci.com or www.sprint-crs.com
Be prepared for cold windy weather, even in summer. Wear comfortable walking shoes and layered clothing. Tours may be cancelled du to extreme weather.
Call (831) 625-4419 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Groups (maximum of 40 people) may arrange for special private tours of Point Sur. A minimum of $200 will be charged. Call (831) 625-4419 for information or e-mail email@example.com
Along the way you will:
- See Gray whales on their ocean migration route (December through May) and during the summer months you may be lucky enough to see Humpback and Blue whales.
- Watch pelicans fly in formation below you, maybe glimpse an eagle, California condor, or perigrine falcon
- Look down on rocks and crashing surf, look back on the Big Sur coastline
- Feel the fog, the wind or the sunshine on your skin (often in the same tour)
- See incredible spring wild flower displays
- Hear about the "ghosts" of lightkeepers past (Moonlight Tours)
After a walk past the light station buildings, and a stop at the visitors center, the group will return to the parking lot. You will have experienced life on a remote lightstation, if for only a few hours.