Piedras Blancas Light Station is located on California's central coast, just north of San Simeon. (see map) Piedras Blancas Point is named for the three white rocks located just off the end of the point. In 1866, this location was chosen to fill the gap between the lighthouses at Point Conception and Point Pinos.
The Piedras Blancas Light Station was completed in 1875 and a two story Victorian style dwelling was completed in 1876. The original tower was 100 feet tall and a housed a first-order Fresnel lens. A fog signal building and additional keeper's dwelling were added in 1905.
Piedras Blancas Light Station was operated by employees of the US Lighthouse Service until 1939 when the Coast Guard assumed command. Technology eventually replaced many of the functions of the lighthouses as they became automated. The Coast Guard subsequently relinquished control and management of the Piedras Blancas Light Station to The Bureau of Land Management on October 12, 2001.
The Bureau of Land Management has assumed administrative control and is in the process of initiating restoration and stabilization projects. The Bureau has completed a planning framework that will guide these activities.
The Piedras Blancas Light Station website provides to all parties who are interested in the future of the Piedras Blancas Light Station, a focal point for news and tour information. The Bureau of Land Management is committed to a Community based partnership in restoring and managing this Historic resource.
News - BLM Announced - Light Station Open to Limited Public Tours
24 hour Tour Information Line : 1-805-927-7361
Pidras Blancas Tours
Keep a lookout for Elephant Seals near Piedras Blancas Light Station.
Download our local Big Sur Visitors Guide in Adobe PDF.
Nearby is the Piedras Blancas elephant seal rookery.